Attitude of Gratitude Equals Happiness
November is a month for where at least one day of the whole year is dedicated to Thanksgiving. Giving thanks is something you do or say to show what you are grateful for. We say, thank you for doing that for me; or I am thankful I have a job; we prepare a big dinner and give thanks for this great country we live in. etc.
Having gratitude and feeling grateful is different. The definition of gratitude in Webster’s Dictionary is: a feeling of thankful appreciation for favors or benefits received.
Being able to feel gratitude is a major source of joy in life. It is one of the most important things that causes a person to be happy, positive and optimistic and have the right perspective in spite of what other negative things or problems that may also be going on in their life.
If gratitude is so important to maximizing joy and happiness in life don’t you think you should know what all you are grateful for? Wouldn’t it be wise and uplifting to constantly be able to see all the things that are good in you life? This is especially important when we are down, beat up discouraged, or having serious challenges.
Here is a fun exercise that is quite rewarding and many times an eye opener for people.
Make a list of EVERYTHING you can think of that you are grateful for. I am sure the length of that list will surprise you.
During one of the toughest times in my life when things were going badly I decided to see what I had to be grateful for in spite of the problems and difficulty I was experiencing at that time. I was surprised at how many good things I had going for me.
I want to share that list, or at least part of it, with you so you can get an idea of the gazillion things you have to be grateful for as well.
Here is why I have an attitude of gratitude. I am grateful that:
- I am still alive;
- that I have food to eat every day and clean water to drink;
- that I can shower whenever I want;
- that I am basically healthy;
- that my wife is still in love with me I and I her;
- that I have a car;
- that I have always had a place to sleep;
- a home, a nice bed and furniture;
- that I have lots of fun possessions that make me happy;
- that I have the internet;
- that I have glasses so I can see clearly;
- that I have a life insurance policy so in case I die my wife and family are taken care of;
- that all my children are happy and well adjusted adults;
- that we all have great relationships with each other;
- that I have dear friends; that I can laugh and play;
- that I found God and that He loves me;
- that have a relationship with Him;
- that I have been protected from major accidents;
- that my business is successful;
- that I love what I do for an income;
- that I am free;
- that I have been blessed and taught by others in ways that changed my life forever;
- that God answers my prayers;
- that I am able to bless others with the knowledge and wisdom I have been blessed with;
- that I have two books published and one is a best seller;
- that I have difficulties for they made me strong;
- that I have problems for the force me to find solutions which develops wisdom;
- that I know how to work;
- that I have had to face dangers for they taught me about courage;
Make your own list. Put down the smallest details.
You’ll be pleasantly surprised what all you have to grateful for!